Monday, November 15, 2010

Unit 11


Web Search Engines: Part 1 and Part 2
            I am not really sure what I was supposed to look at/read for this article(s), so I just looked at the table of content and the website in general.  From what I saw it seemed like they had a good number of articles on various subjects, especially in dealing with the IT world. I did not get a chance to read any of the articles but from just reading the authors mini biographies, I got the feeling that these articles were being written by people who know what they are talking about.

Current developments and future trends for the OAI protocol for metadata harvesting
            The information in this article was informative, especially since I do not have that much background knowledge about OAI’s.  The liked how the authors listed why something was both good and bad.  Most articles go one way or the other, forcing readers to read multiple articles to get both sides of the story.  Having everything in one place was very helpful I felt.  I also liked how they listen various programs in work, such as the Sheet Music Consortium and Community- and Domain-specific OAI services.  I am interested in how these services can be expanded in the future.

“The Deep Web: Surfacing Hidden Value”
            The analogy in the begging about the Web being a sea was entertaining.  I don’t think I fully understand exactly what the Deep Web is, but the way they explained their research and everything was very well done.  Unlike after reading some articles and questioning where their information came from, I knew exactly where this information came from and how it came to be.  I greatly appreciated it. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jobeth,
    I agree that the deep web is a big thing to wrap your head around. But, as I understood it from the article, it's basically all the stuff on the web that is not ranked high enough to ever be drudged up by a search engine just by doing a general search. If I'm wrong on this, someone else please correct me. But that's what I took away from the article.
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also initially confused about the deep web. I kept thinking it was the hidden stuff behind firewalls that no one could access outside of the company/entity that had it. Now I know that I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jobeth, I also had problems with the first reading. The links just brought up the journal's site. Eventually I was able to find the article via Google.

    ReplyDelete