Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Unit 6 Readings


Local Area Network
            This article helped explain what the Local Area Network was.  I learned this in a computer science class I took in my undergrad, but revisiting it is good.

Computer network and Common types of computer networks
            Both of these articles helped remind me of what all of these networks are. The video did a good job of explaining these networks in layman’s terms. The article had nice diagrams to explain what they are.  Revisiting them has helped me understand them better.  I also began to thing about how libraries could be set up in different network types.  A small, local library would be a PAN, but a college library would be a WAN. 

Management of RFID in libraries
            This author of this article poses some good suggestions and reasons why RFID tags should and shouldn’t be used in the library.  All of her points I agree with.  I think that the technology is a good one and that it would be a good thing for libraries to have, but I am still on the fence about actually implementing the technology into libraries.  Since, some patron information can be placed into the tag, I’m scared that this will give patrons a “big brother” feeling.  Although, this technology would be a good one for library workers, it may scare patrons off.  More research is required before I am 100% behind this technology and the implementation of it in libraries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment