Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Unit 4 Readings, Part 2


Imaging Pittsburgh
            This is a great idea.  I’d really be interested to know if other communities were doing this same thing.  I think it is a great idea to put photo’s of the community up on the web for those who grew up in the area to see old photographs or for people doing research.  My own community has done this, except they put the photos into a two-volume book series.  After reading a previous article about the cost of digitizing though, I wonder how much this cost.  With cost in mind, I also wonder if that means that certain photographs were not digitized.  How, as and archivists or curator, do you decide what gets digitized and what doesn’t? It must be a very difficult question and one I do not wish to make and one I do not wish to make.

YouTube and the Library
            This is another great idea.  I know as an incoming student at various stages, I hated sitting through those “This is the library” speeches.  Having a video of this and other resource videos would be great.  Students and visitors would be able to watch the video on a need-to-know basis.  It would also show that the library was not ignoring the technology available or the fact that we are in the technology age.  As someone who has an Internet phone and uses it regularly around Pittsburgh, having this option would be a great one.  Reading and walking is very hard to do, but if someone were talking to me while it walked, going places would be much easier.  With these instructional videos, students would also be able to pause, rewind, and watch it as many times as they would need.  I’m in full support of this option.

No comments:

Post a Comment